Chicago's music scene is buzzing with new sounds

Need a study break before fall break? Chicago's music scene may offer some much needed downtime as well as the opportunity to hear some up and coming rock acts as well as some old favorites.Oct.6 and 7: The Faint and TV on the Radio at The MetroThese two bands are sure to be ones to watch out for. With their unique combination of emo, electronic, punk and 80s dance beats blended with clever lyrics, these bands present a different edge to an overflowing scene of hipster pop. The Faint's recently released album "Wet From Birth" (Saddle Creek, 2004) received good reviews as well as TV on the Radio's "Desperate Youth, Blood Thirsty Babes" (Touch and Go, 2004). The Faint is most known for their relationship with former band mate Conor Oberst of Bright Eyes. If you enjoy the sounds of Interpol, The Walkmen, Clinic and Bright Eyes, this is sure to be a combination not to miss.Oct. 8: Flogging Molly at Congress TheaterThis Irish inspired, highly energetic punk rock band is sure to leave you dancing all the way home. In the past this group has brought its high-energy brand of drunk punk to the Warped Tour four times and most recently celebrated a No. 20 debut on the Billboard album charts for its third album "Within a Mile of Home" (Side One, 2002). Flogging Molly can also be found on the "Rock Against Bush vol. 2" compilation with its song "Drunken Lullabies."Oct. 9: The Libertines with Radio 4 at The MetroDespite lead singer Pete Doherty's constant legal and drug problems, The Libertines managed to record and release its newest self-titled album to raving reviews. This British band revives the sound perfected by The Clash but while keeping romantic melodicism and relentless wit. Guitars are kept jagged and rough, providing a unique twist to the relentless pop/punk. If you enjoy contemporaries such as The Strokes, The Hives and The Living End or influences of Green Day and The Clash, this is sure to be a top pick of bands to listen to.Oct. 14: Death Cab for Cutie at Riviera TheaterIf you have not heard of Death Cab for Cutie yet, it is a must have for your musical library. The lightness of the guitars and vocals leaves one floating in the air and dizzy with emotions. Its latest album "Transatlanticism" (Barsuk Records, 2003) contains a healthy serving of indie lullabies about love lost in an ocean of memories easily relatable to college students. If you enjoy this type of heartstring-tugging polished melodies, also check out Postal Service, a side project of lead singer Ben Gibbard. You will not leave disappointed from this show.Oct.16: Nintendo Fusion Tour with Lostprophets, My Chemical Romance, Story of the Year and more at Congress TheaterThis mini-warped tour is sure to entice many fans of new pop/punk to the show. Each of these bands has proven their musical talent with many accolades from MTV and various music magazines. Interesting lyrics and typical guitar riffs found in many generic pop/punk outfits can be found here, but with more style and power. Each of these bands is sure to pick up where Blink 182 left off but with their own spin and charisma. If one is willing to dodge throngs of high schoolers off to their first big show and ignore corporate sponsorship, then this is a great show to let loose at.Oct. 17: Interpol with Secret Machines at Riviera TheaterWith its long awaited secondalbum "interpolantics" (Matador, 2004) finally released, Interpol is ready to spread its innovative and dark brand of alternative rock to the nation. Hailed as one of rock's next big things by Spin magazine in 2003, Interpol is a leading trendsetter in today's modern rock scene. Stylish, polished and overflowing with talent, Interpol is a top choice for any music lover today. If you like The Strokes, The Walkmen, White Stripes, British Sea Power or Television, chances are you will love Interpol.Oct. 21: Har Mar Superstar at Double DoorReady for a good laugh, but not interested in hearing superb music? Check out Har Mar Superstar's set. This one man act has toured with The Strokes in Europe and blends indie rock with hip hop raps, all with disco-style beats. Although the music and lyrics are not the most pleasant sounding, his live show leaves you wondering why security lets a Ron Jeremy look-alike strip in public. He is outlandish and claims he has charm, but in reality Har Mar Superstar is one act to hear about rather than actually hear.