Group debates off-campus housing

The Council of Representa-tives met Monday to discuss the City of South Bend City Council meeting about students partying off campus and to introduce nominations for the two vice president positions on the Judicial Council. Student Body President Adam Istvan summarized the council meeting for the representatives. "The South Bend Council met to discuss off campus parties and their impact on the community," Istvan said, adding that representatives from city government, attorneys and associate vice president for student affairs Bill Kirk attended the meeting.Istvan said the main topic discussed at the meeting noisy off campus parties and their impact on the community. "The main consensus among those who attended was that there needs to be better communication between students, landlords, neighbors and the university," Istvan said. Istvan emphasized to the representatives that both Kirk and Mark Kramer, owner of Domus Properties, supported the students of Notre Dame at the South Bend Council Meeting."They are on our side," Istvan said.Chief executive assistant Dave Barron, who attended the meeting with Istvan, said that Kirk was especially supportive of the students."Bill Kirk is a tireless advocate," Baron said.Off campus representative Dave McGowan added that cooperation with South Bend Police was the key to hosting a safe party off campus without upsetting neighbors in the area."You can hire cops to work your party. As long as have a cop there, you are covered," McGowan said.Although the SafeBus proposal was not formally discussed at the meeting, senior class president Darrell Scott questioned how residents attending the council meeting responded to it. "I cannot say that they endorsed it. So far the only endorsement is from Mayor Stephen Lueke. He is very enthusiastic," Istvan said.Finally, Judicial Council President Brin Anderson presented her nominations for vice president of elections and vice president of peer advocacy, senior Meagan Powers was nominated for vice president of peer advocacy and senior Carsten Steinhaeuser was nominated for vice president of elections.