Irish passing game starting to click

Kate Gales | Monday, October 4, 2004

Saturday’s game was the first time since 1977 that Notre Dame had two receivers go over 100 yards receiving. Brady Quinn found tight end Anthony Fasano eight times for 155 yards and Rhema McKnight snagged seven passes for 113 yards.The last time two receivers both recorded over 100 yards in the same game was in 1977, when receiver Kris Haines and tight end Ken McAfee did it with Joe Montana under center.”We knew we were going to do it,” Fasano said of his open looks in the middle of the field. “We just didn’t know how long it was going to last.”Random factsQuinn completed passes to 10 receivers, including one to himself for no gain. The same thing happened last week against Washington. Quinn also recovered his own fumble. Chase Anastasio recorded his first career catch with a 15-yard snag and tight end Jerome Collins made his first offensive appearance on the box scores with a 13-yard reception. 30 years later, part twoIt was 1974 when Purdue last won at Notre Dame, but that was also the last time a kickoff was returned for 100 yards against the Irish. In 1974, USC’s Anthony Davis ran the length of the field for the touchdown. Saturday, Jerome Brooks went end zone to end zone in the first quarter to put Purdue up for good.Orton on firePurdue quarterback Kyle Orton passed for four touchdowns on Saturday. In Purdue’s four games so far this season, he has thrown for four or more touchdowns in each of them.”He was unstoppable,” said Justin Tuck. “He is a great quarterback. “A lot of people say he is the leading candidate for the Heisman Trophy. He’s got my vote.”Orton passed for 385 yards against the Irish, completing 21 of 31 attempts. He has thrown 17 touchdown passes on the season and has not been intercepted once. Purdue has yet to commit a turnover as a team this season.Gameday captainsGameday captains were linebacker Derek Curry, wide receiver Carlyle Holiday, offensive lineman Dan Stevenson and defensive lineman Justin Tuck.