Pangborn defeats Howard in fourth straight win

Joe Meixell | Friday, October 8, 2004

The Pangborn Phoxes continued their winning ways Thursday, using a strong offensive performance to top the inexperienced Howard Ducks, 27-6. The victory – Pangborn’s fourth straight – puts them in good shape heading toward the postseason.

It took only one play for the prolific Phox offense to assert itself, as quarterback Katie Mooney connected with a streaking receiver for a 30-yard strike on the first play from scrimmage. After another first down, the Phoxes displayed their versatility as Mooney ran around the left end and, after drawing the defense, pitched the ball to tailback Trish Donelly, who ran it in for a score.

A completed pass on the point after attempt gave the Phoxes a 7-0 lead, a lead they would not relinquish.

Despite the early deficit, the Ducks didn’t fold, responding on their first drive with an impressive quarterback draw that went 50 yards for the score. The touchdown brought the Ducks to within a point and gave them new hope.

But this hope was short-lived, as the Phoxes immediately countered with a touchdown on the first play of the ensuing drive. Mooney optioned this time to tailback Brynn Johnson, who eluded countless Ducks on her way to a 70-yard score.

The dual tailback set gave the Howard Defense trouble all night. The Ducks often did not know who had the ball.

“We practiced hard all year on the handoffs,” Pangborn coach Doug Cionni said. “[The dual tailback formation] has really picked up.”

The Phoxes added two more scores in the second half – another option from Mooney to Donelly and a quarterback keeper late in the game – to seal the 27-6 win.

Lewis 35, Off-Campus 0

The Lewis Chicks made it clear from the start that they were a class above Off-Campus Thursday night as they cruised to a 35-0 victory.

The tone was set early on for Lewis.

On the second play from scrimmage, the Chicks (2-2-1) executed a hook-and-ladder play to perfection, covering 58 yards for the first of their five touchdowns. Quarterback Tiffany Roberts completed a short out pattern to Kara Bailey who lateralled the ball to Jocelyn Moya. Moya ran the rest of the way down the sideline for the score.

Roberts was just getting started as she had a hand in all the touchdowns. She had touchdown runs of 10, 11 and 63 yards as well as two passing touchdowns. Moya was the primary receiving target as she had two touchdowns, including one on the hook and ladder play.

The Chick offense was as efficient as it was effective. None of the five scoring drives lasted longer than three plays.

“[Our team was] an offensive juggernaut tonight,” Lewis coach Jay Murphy said.

Welsh Family 13, Badin 7

The Whirlwinds of Welsh Family turned up the pressure defensively and used an impressive air attack to beat the Badin Bullfrogs and run their record to a sterling 4-0-1.

Welsh Family was coming off a tie to Howard that cancelled their run at perfection. In that game, dropped passes were the major problem for the Whirlwinds. That was much less of a problem against Badin.

Quarterback Melissa Sands connected with wide receiver Lauren Heck for two touchdowns, accounting for both scores. The first touchdown came on a five-yard pass to the corner of the end zone, capping off a long, sustained drive. The extra point was scored, and Welsh led 7-0.

For much of the rest of the game, defensive stands and field position were the keys to the Whirlwinds’ success. 22Badin’s quarterback Stephanie Heath was forced to scramble often due to the pocket repeatedly collapsing. Heath made the most of these situations, gaining significant yardage on many of her runs.

When Heath did have enough time to pass, she spread the ball around fairly effectively. Wide receivers Ashley O’Keefe and Lizzi Shappell made several impressive catches. Shappell, known as “Mo Sto” for her comparative resemblance in height to Maurice Stovall, used her height to her advantage on several balls.

The Whirlwinds made several fourth-down stops, including two when Badin was inside the red zone, one on fourth-and goal. Badin, backed by an extremely boisterous crowd on its sideline, made several drives in attempt to tie the score, all in vain.

After one such drive pinned Welsh Family deep in its own territory, Sands and Heck made their second connection, as Heck slipped pass the defense and scampered about 70 yards for the score that broke the Bullfrogs’ back.

Badin never stopped trying to score, and with the aid of a bull-rushing penalty on the Welsh Family defensive line that negated a Whirlwind interception, they scored their lone touchdown with under two minutes left in the game.

On a fourth-down, Heath rolled out and hit Ashley O’Keefe in the right corner. The Bullfrogs got the extra point to close within six, but the Whirlwinds ran one more play to end the game.