-

-

Roemer to speak today

Eileen Duffy | Thursday, October 7, 2004

Timothy Roemer, a 9/11 Commission member, will give a talk about “The 9/11 Commission:The Transformation of our Intelligence Community,” at 7 p.m. today in the Mendoza College of Business’ Jordan Auditorium.Roemer, who received masters and doctoral degrees from Notre Dame and served as Indiana’s 3rd District representative in the U.S. House of Representatives from 1991-2003, was invited by Professor Sheri Alpert of the Reilly Center for Science, Technology and Values. The former representative served on the 9/11 commission, which released its report over this past summer. “It was sort of a simultaneous thing. I was interested in having him come to talk to my classes and of course, I wanted to offer the Notre Dame community a chance to hear him speak publicly,” Alpert said. Roemer will speak to Alpert’s classes on Computer Ethics and on Science, Policy and Politics as well as two law school classes. During his 12 years as a U.S. representative, Roemer focused on public diplomacy, the American government’s communication with the public in foreign countries. At a time when the United States was considering cutting much of the funding for public diplomacy, Roemer to preserve it. He also served on the Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence, the Committee on Education and the Workforce and the Committee on Science. In November 2002, the U.S. Advisory Committee on Public Diplomacy created the Tim Roemer Internship, to be awarded annually to a Notre Dame student in the Washington Semester program. Roemer has also been recognized by George Mason University, a non-profit research and educational institution dedicated to improving public policy outcomes, as a distinguished scholar. He serves as president of their Center for National Policy.