Tuesday, March 19, 2024

SMC to discuss its image during forum

Board of Governance members discussed plans for a campus-wide forum to discuss the image of Saint Mary's at Monday's meeting. The forum, which was originally scheduled for today, has been postponed until after fall break. The event's purpose will be to address student interests and look at the identity of a Saint Mary's woman, said student body president Sarah Catherine White. "The senior board is very interested in participating in this forum. We want to define what a Saint Mary's woman is without offending anyone," said senior class president Jacqueline Cuisiner. The exact date of the forum will be decided after fall break. Speech Language Pathology club members Kara Flynn and Lynn Cooper asked the board to co-sponsor their trip to Purdue for a Crossroad Conference on speech language pathology. "Speech Language Pathology is a very fast growing career. By going to this conference we cannot bring anything back but a positive experience," said Flynn. BOG voted to approve its co-sponsorship for $800 or the initial $1,000 they originally asked for, on the condition that they hold a forum to discuss what they learned at the conference upon their return. "Dessert with Dr. Mooney," a program where students can discuss topics with College President Carol Ann Mooney, was held Sunday night in McCandless Hall. "I strongly encourage everyone to attend this event in their Residence Hall. Dr. Mooney is so candid and great to talk with," said White. Sophomore class president Claudia Toth said the class board is presenting artist Jesse Young at Dalloway's on Oct. 28 from 6 to 8 p.m. The class also successfully participated in career planning evaluations last week, said Toth. BOG members said they would meet after break to discuss methods of saving energy on campus and to plan the upcoming forum on defining the identity of a Saint Mary's woman.