South Bend, PAC host shows during week off

While students head back home or out on vacation for fall break, the entertainment around South Bend continues.

Several big-name acts will come through town before classes start up again on Oct. 25.

Tonight the blues-rock group the Fabulous Thunderbirds will play a benefit concert for the Center for the Homeless at Heartland.

The concert, organized by Notre Dame graduate and former owner of Vegetable Buddies Nightclub Andy Panelli, is one of several performed over the years to raise money for the Center.

Tickets cost $22 and are on sale at Heartland - 222 South Michigan St. - by calling 574-234-5200 or Ticketmaster at 574-272-7979.

Students sticking around will also have the chance to see Second City, one of the nation's top comedy groups, at the DeBartolo Center for the Performing Arts. The troupe is the former home of many of the nation's top comedians, including Bill Murray, Eugene Levy, Mike Meyers, Chris Farley and Tina Fey.

The show will be performed at 8 p.m on Oct. 22. Tickets are $15 for students, $25 for faculty and staff and $31.25 for the general public. Tickets are available from the box office at the DeBartolo Center for the Performing Arts and can be ordered over the phone at 631-2800, on-line at http://performingarts.nd.edu, or at the box office Monday through Friday from noon to 6 p.m.

On Oct. 24 Notre Dame will welcome Regis Philbin back to campus for another benefit concert for the Center for the Homeless. Regis will perform numbers from his recently released CD "When You're Smiling," which includes songs such as "You Make Me Feel So Young," "It Had To Be You" and "You're Nobody 'Til Somebody Loves You."

Tickets for the benefit cost $30 for regular and $100 for preferred seatings. Tickets are on sale now at the ticket office in the Debartolo Center for the Performing Arts, or can be purchased by calling 631-2800.