-

-

Talk show host turns crooner

| Friday, October 15, 2004

Regis Philbin is perhaps one of the most well-known Notre Dame graduate, and he is returning to the campus this fall to help out a worthy cause. On Oct. 24 at 6 p.m. Philbin will perform a benefit at the new Debartolo Center for the Performing arts. All of the proceeds from the show will go to support the Center for the Homeless in South Bend. In conjunction with his performance at the PAC, Regis will be taping an episode of his popular morning show, “Live with Regis and Kelly,” at the PAC the next morning.”Regis has had a relationship with the Center for the Homeless for over 10 years, particularly with Lou Nanni, the current Vice President for University relations who used to be the executive director for the center, ” said current director Steve Camilleri. “He has committed all that he can to help us.”Regis recently released a musical CD entitled, “When You’re Smiling”, which includes covers of such songs as “You Make Me Feel So Young,” “It Had To Be You,” “You’re Nobody ‘Til Somebody Loves You” and a duet with his wife Joy on “They Can’t Take That Away From Me.” He has turned the music from the CD into a club act that he has performed in both Las Vegas and New York. At Notre Dame, he will be featured with a 22-piece orchestra composed of students as well as professional musicians from the greater South Bend area. Philbin is well-known for his successful morning television show, “Live with Regis and Kelly,” and his celebrity status increased with the incredible success of the original version of the game show, “Who Wants to be a Millionaire?” He has won several Emmy awards, including one each for “Live” and “Millionaire,” and he was awarded TV Guide’s Television Personality of the Year for 2001. He has also written three books and released his own clothing line based on his attire on “Millionaire.” The benefit is meant not only to raise money for the Center for the Homeless, but also to raise awareness about its role in the South Bend community. Each night, the Center, located at 813 S. Michigan Street, hosts about 200 guests, and they always encourage students to volunteer their time. “The benefit is the result of a combination of great things,” said Camilleri, “Regis’ love of Notre Dame, the Center for the Homeless and South Bend.”Seats for the benefit cost $30, and there is no price break for anyone, because the net proceeds of the show go directly to the Center for the Homeless. Preferred seating can be purchased for $100. Preferred seating tickets come with guaranteed seats for the Oct. 25 broadcast of “Live with Regis and Kelly,” which will be recorded at 7:30 a.m. Tickets for the television broadcast were distributed free of charge with tickets to the concerts by Mariza and the Academy of St. Martins in the Fields Wednesday and Thursday night. Extra seats may be available for students who wait outside the show on the morning of Oct. 25.Tickets for the benefit are on sale now at the ticket office in the Debartolo Center for the Performing Arts, or can be purchased by calling 631-2800.