Team expected to excel in championship meet

Mark Hamilton said opponents competing at the MIAA Championships this weekend will see Saint Mary's running on all cylinders.

In their last tournament of the fall season, Hamilton said, the Belles should be at the top of their games and post impressive numbers.

"I think it will be exciting to see what we can do when we're playing at our peak," Hamilton said. "We just need to stay relaxed and in the zone."

Saint Mary's already holds a 47-stroke lead and a first-place conference rank going into the tournament as a result of their hard work earlier this season. Their conference counterparts expect nothing less than a challenge this weekend.

"I think the other teams know that we're going to come out and play well," Hamilton said. "Everyone knows we're the team to beat - we're the marked man."

In addition to team honors, the Belles look to collect individual awards, as well. Junior Julia Adams and seniors Stefanie Simmerman and Chrissy Dunham look to earn a place on the first and second all-conference teams.

Hamilton believes the team will be ready for any challenges they will encounter this weekend. He cited the team's solid performance last weekend, despite the rigorous course, as proof of the team's ability to excel this weekend.

"This weekend's course has a lot of similarities to the course we played on last weekend," Hamilton said. "That's one of the reasons we scheduled that tournament last weekend."

Of utmost importance, Hamilton said, the team must show its ability to keep a level head under the pressure. He hopes the Belles will approach this meet as if it were a normal, regular season meet.

"We're trying not to get too jazzed up for it, but at the same time, we are excited to hoist the team banner in the gym if we win," Hamilton said.