Belles drop home match to Knights

In the course of Saturday afternoon, the Belles watched their chance at going undefeated at home get blown away.With gusts of over 60 miles per hour dominating every aspect of the game, Saint Mary's was unable to extend its record at home to 8-0 with a 2-1 loss to Calvin."It was ridiculously windy, and that changes the flow of the game immediately," junior Carrie Orr said. "It was a hard game to play in, and it didn't help that Calvin is a good team."Calvin came out against the Belles with a physical style that was compounded by the weather conditions.Though the Belles are not typically a team that puts the ball in the air "over the top" of the defense, the reliability of that aspect of passing was completely removed for both teams due to the wind."We had to focus on playing the ball on the ground instead of putting it over the top," Orr said. Calvin scored twice in the first half to give the Knights a 2-0 lead at the half. The Belles responded in the second half, when Carolyn Logan buried a centering pass in the back of the net to cut the lead in half. But Saint Mary's could get no closer, and Calvin held on for a 2-1 win.The problem of converting chances on offense has plagued the Belles all season."We played good defensively, and had our chances on offense, but we just couldn't find the back of the net," Orr said. Calvin became the only team to beat the Belles twice this season, after Saint Mary's suffered a 3-1 defeat in the first meeting between the teams Oct. 2. Nevertheless, the Belles' record of 7-1 at home remains impressive.The game also marked the last time on their home field for seven seniors on the Belles."The seniors are great leaders who have molded the attitude of this team and set a good example for all the underclassmen," Orr said.