College hosts annual Showcase of Careers

Students are printing resumes and ironing business suits today as Saint Mary's College hosts the annual Showcase of Careers from 3 until 6 p.m. in the LeMans Hall Lobby. The event, sponsored by the Counseling and Career Development Center (CCDC), will bring more than 40 organizations to campus"Historically, this is the premier opportunity to introduce internships, full-time volunteer positions, graduate school and post-baccalaureate career opportunities," said Jeff Roberts, associate director for career opportunities at Saint Mary's. "This represents a tremendous networking opportunity for all students." Organizations ranging from the Federal Bureau of Investigation to Chicago Public Schools and the South Bend Silverhawks will be present to meet with students at the event, which will be open to Saint Mary's, Holy Cross and Notre Dame students of all levels, majors and interests. In the past, between 300 and 400 students have attended and expectations for this year remain high."We were very sensitive to students' schedules this year," Roberts said. "We want to give as many students access to this event as possible."Saint Mary's junior Jackie Huelbig is thankful for that. "It's rare that this many organizations come together on our campus," Huelbig said. "I felt this didn't really apply to me in the past, but now that I'm a junior I'll be focusing on getting an internship for this summer."Whether students are interested in finding employment opportunities or information on a particular graduate school, Roberts said the job fair can accommodate both. Participating organizations can offer both insight into their own group, as well as career information regarding their industry as a whole. "The organizations are here to address as many student concerns about the future as possible," Roberts said. "It is an ample opportunity to explore the world of work, and to introduce the students to the breadth of opportunities out there." In conjunction with Showcase of Careers, Avon Community School Corporation will host informational sessions for education majors from 7 until 8 p.m. in the Mother Pauline Room on the third floor of the library. Teach for America will also hold a special information session for all students on Thursday from 5 until 6 p.m. in room 303 of Haggar Hall.