College remains on alert

A report saying that at least one cab driver has been soliciting Saint Mary's students to pose for pictures in a hotel room remains under investigation, a College official said Thursday.

On Nov. 11, students at Saint Mary's received an e-mail from Linda Timm, vice president of Student Affairs, warning them of the situation. The e-mail stated that a student or students had reported the solicitation to Saint Mary's security after being offered a "significant and intentionally enticing" amount of money to pose for photographs in a hotel room.

According to College spokesperson Melanie McDonald, various agencies in the community are working together to closely monitor the situation.

"Saint Mary's College Security Department continues to work with city law enforcement to gather more information," McDonald said. "Saint Mary's has and will continue to communicate with Notre Dame and Holy Cross College regarding any developments, and Saint Mary's students will receive an update as soon as there is more to share."

The e-mail also cited that one taxi driver had been issued a no trespass order and was no longer allowed on Saint Mary's campus.

Until the situation is remedied, Timm and Saint Mary's security are asking anyone who is propositioned to report the incident to security immediately.

For students looking for a transportation option, McDonald suggested a reputable taxi company.

"Saint Mary's has a working relationship with Michiana Taxi," McDonald said. "Discount cards for that taxi service are available for students through the Security Department on campus."