Execs address upcoming events

Saint Mary's College Board of Governance met Monday to discuss upcoming events and issues, including the student body president's annual "State of the School" address.

Student body president Sarah Catherine White called the meeting to order by informing the board that she will deliver the address Thursday at 5:30 p.m. in Haggar Parlor. White said she would address her future goals for the College and what she has accomplished thus far in her term.

Members also discussed various diversity initiatives.

Student body vice president Mary Pauline Moran reported that the Social Work 390 class asked the board for $56 to put on an Ethnic Festival, which will be held in the West Wing of Noble Family dining hall today from 5 to 7 p.m. with the goal of further educating Saint Mary's students about diversity.

"I think that this is a really great thing in light of the forum and the diversity issues pressing our campus," Moran said.

Student Diversity Board commissioner Adriana Puente reported that she is currently accepting applications for available positions on SDB. "Our numbers are really dwindling due to many of our members going abroad," Puente said.

SDB will also be volunteering at a food bank this Saturday from 7 to 10 a.m. Anyone interested in volunteering should contact Puente or any other SDB member.

In other BOG news: u Student Activities Board will be having a meeting this Thursday at 7 p.m., which will be open to the entire student body. They will then be holding a second meeting at 8 p.m. for students to give feedback on SAB sponsored events. Both meetings will be held in 222 Madeleva Hall. "SAB's mission is quality programming for the student body, and although we have heard things about our events we have never gotten direct any direct feedback from students. This will be an opportunity for us to do so," SAB commissioner Lauren Fabina said.

u BOG Campus food commissioner Becky Hanson appealed to the Board for help in placing linen table clothes and votives on the tables in the dining hall Dec. 8 in honor of the Immaculate Conception.

"I think this is a great way to commemorate the day," Hanson said, adding that results of the dining hall's survey of the student body's thoughts on campus foods and policies will be available in a week. Hanson said she would be prepared to share those results with the Board at the next meeting.

u Campus Clubs commissioner Becky Bosack asked the Board for its approval of the new campus club, Irish Club. This is a club comprised of students who studied abroad in Ireland and those who did not but are interested in learning more about the Irish culture. The Board motioned to approve this group to club status.