Fathers arrive at SMC

Saint Mary's seniors will get the chance to introduce their fathers to life at a women's college from today until Sunday during the highly-anticipated Seniors Dads' Weekend.

Though Saint Mary's hosts a Sophomore Parents' weekend in early spring and a Junior Moms' weekend in April, many girls said that they are looking forward to this event in particular because of the unique experience it provides both father and daughter.

"Obviously my dad didn't go to Saint Mary's but I think it is really exciting that he has a chance to be here and meet my friends' dads and see what it's like," senior Casandra Gerstner said.

The weekend kicks off tonight with an elegant casino night hosted by Heartland which features a live auction, DJ, magician, hors d'oevres, drink specials, casino games and dealers courtesy of Notre Dame R.O.T.C.

Event coordinator Molly Halm said that she was especially excited about the live auction.

"We are going to have a live auction in the middle of the gaming time featuring seven to eight main prizes valued well over one hundred dollars," Halm said. "Probably the most popular item auctioned off will be the front row seats for graduation."

All the proceeds from the evening will help finance Saint Mary's senior week.

The main event on Saturday is a tailgate at the College Football Hall of Fame for the girls and their fathers in preparation for the football away game at Tennessee.

There will also be subsidized bowling at Beacon Bowl in the morning.

"As funny as it might sound I am actually the most excited about the bowling because I always go with my family in the summer and it gives me a chance to reconnect with my family even though I am at school," senior Constance Golando said.

Halm said that although they are keeping the best traditions of Senior Dads' weekend, they are also introducing some new events this year.

"We are doing a joint venture with the Student Activity Board to hold a comedy club Saturday night for the first time," she said.

Saint Mary's students are being offered free admission to the Kyle Cease comedy show at 9 p.m. on Saturday in the west wing of South Dining Hall.

Cease is a famous young comedian known for his role in "10 Things I Hate About You".

The weekend concludes with Sunday mass at the Church of Loretto.

Golando, who said that her dad has been talking about the weekend since Junior Moms' weekend, voiced a common sentiment when she said, "Family is so important to all of us but sometimes it seems like your school life is different from your home life. This gives our dads a chance to experience our college life which is definitely a very different experience from their college life."