Lucky at Legends

Legends hosted its first concert of the year Saturday, featuring the band Lucky Boys Confusion. Due to the band's reputation and the unbeatable ticket price (the show was free), confusion abounded at Legends when a much larger number of students came out to see the show than expected. Students grew anxious waiting for the doors to open and feared they would not be admitted into the show. When the small club reached its capacity, the staff of Legends was forced to turn away many disappointed fans. Waiting for the show to begin, many commented that Lucky Boys Confusion should have played at a bigger venue on campus. Although it is unfortunate that more students could not get in due to the club's size, the small setting afforded a more intimate atmosphere, allowing everyone to get close to the stage and rock out.And rock out they did.Lucky Boys Confusion took the stage opening the set with the appropriately chosen "Saturday Night." While some only recognized the band's 2001 single "Fred Astaire," die-hard fans surged to the front, never missing a note. The set list was well balanced, showcasing songs from both their first record "Throwing the game" (2001), as well as the more recent "Commitment" (2003). Lucky Boys Confusion also played "Broken," "Hey Driver," "Bossman," "Something to Believe" and "Do you Miss Me", among others. Finally, in what very well could be an anthem to end parietals, LBC ended the show with "3 to 10/Cd's Caddy, Pt. 1". During the song they reminded the sweat-soaked audience that when some thing stands in their way of a good time, "there's always the back seat." Overall, the concert seemed a success. Everyone appeared to enjoy the show and, since it ended by 11:30 p.m., the night was still young enough for revelry, debauchery and late-night Yahtzee games.The five members of Lucky Boys Confusion hail from Chicago, where they have cultivated a diverse following consisting of fans of all different ages, backgrounds and musical tastes. Their sharp lyrics and innovative ability to combine rock with other musical genres like hip-hop and reggae, gives LBC a unique sound, preventing LBC from being shoved aside as just another pop punk band. As is clear from their performance on Saturday, LBC's music has the power to reach audiences on multiple levels. It doesn't matter whether someone is a "420 geek", a broken-hearted cynic or a kid that would rather "drink beer and play Atari" than face the responsibilities of adulthood, Lucky Boys Confusion can reach all those fans without compromising the intention of their music. According to their website, LBC named its new album "Commitment" to express its commitment to each other as a band, as well as its commitment to each and every one of its fans. Produced by Sublime's Michael Miguel, "Commitment" comes to term with issues such as suicide and spiritual uncertainty while continually blurring stylistic genres. If you missed Lucky Boys Confusion this time around, dry your tear-ridden eyes and uncurl yourself from your fetal ball. Lucky Boys Confusion has announced that it will be touring this fall with the Plain White T's, The Matches and Dropping Daylight on the Suburban Curse Tour. Legends brought a great show to campus and gave the Chicago crowd at Notre Dame an opportunity to enjoy a city favorite.