Phoxes look to option against No. 1 Chaos

Only one year removed from scoring its first touchdown in five years, Pangborn is just one win away from the championship game.

But captain Katie Murray's eyes are set on a prize much larger than a semifinal win against the Cavanaugh Chaos.

"We don't want to stop it here," Murray said. "We've come a long way, and we want to win the championship, not just make it there."

To do so, however, they will have to beat an undefeated Cavanaugh team tonight.

After completing the regular season 5-0-1, Cavanaugh defeated eighth-seeded Badin 26-6 in the first round Sunday, extending both the team's unbeaten streak and championship run.

Chaos co-captain Sara Gilloon was pleased with the result.

"Our defense really helped us out with two interceptions, and our offense was on target," she said. "We're really hoping to continue that."

Cavanaugh's defensive play will be pivotal, as Pangborn runs an option-style offense different from the rest of the league.

However, with Cavanaugh safety Lauren Manning snagging two interceptions Sunday, the Chaos defense comes into the contest playing well.

Pangborn will continue to use its three-back offense, and it has enjoyed substantial success with the ground game this year. Its fakes and multiple choices help string out the defense and create holes for the backs.

Pangborn's defense enters the game with confidence after shutting out Lyons and star quarterback Traci Kazmerski. However, Pangborn will have to match - if not improve upon - its performance tonight if the team has hopes of quelling the high-powered Cavanaugh offense.

In this regard, a definite advantage in the game for the Phoxes could come from Mother Nature.

With rain in the forecast for much of the day and gusty winds, conditions may be ripe for running and nearly impossible for passing.

For Pangborn, its reliance on the ground game should be less vulnerable to the inclement weather.

Murray is not worried about Pangborn's effectiveness, despite the possible sloppy conditions.

"We're going to stay with what's been succeeding all season," she said. "We don't think the weather should be a big factor for us."

However, Cavanaugh's Gilloon said that the majority of the Chaos' big plays come through the air, and slippery conditions could prevent receivers from making some adjustments to balls mid-flight.