Saint Mary's students discuss food services

During the past semester, many Saint Mary's students have expressed concerns and questions regarding the College's food services. At Monday's Board of Governance meeting, Noble Family Dining Hall general manager Berry Bowles spoke to address these issues and concerns regarding the policies and food processing. Bowles gave a general overview of the pricing and the reasoning behind the meal plan options. He explained to the Board that he works for the Sodexho food company, which services many other colleges and the military. "I always have an open door policy and am interested in serving you, the students. It is important that you let me know what you want," said Bowles. The founder of the new competitive volleyball club, Angelica Pivarunas, asked the board for co-sponsorship so that the club may travel to tournaments. The club, Volleybelles, will compete in volleyball tournaments at various colleges, including an upcoming tournament at Miami University in Ohio. The board approved giving the Volleybelles $700. This Thursday there will be a forum regarding the image of a Saint Mary's woman, Board members said. It will take place at 6 p.m. in Stapleton Lounge. "As campus leaders we need to know the variety of opinions that are held by the students here," said Student Body Vice President Sarah Catherine White. The board also encouraged students to vote in today's election. Anyone who is registered through Saint Mary's must vote at Gate 8 in the Joyce Center.

In other BOG news:u Fall Day on Campus will be Nov. 7. Prospective students will be touring campus and speaking with faculty throughout the day. u Member Sarah Brown repo-rted to the board that she will be initiating an Energy Conservation Task Force to increase campus awareness of cutting down on energy costs. She said she hopes that enough students will volunteer to be on the task force to cut down on the energy and save the College money. u Technology commissioner Patricia Mobolade reported that it is still undecided if Inform-ation Technology will make wireless service available on Lake Marion. The decision is still under consideration due to the fact that many students consider Lake Marion a place of serene meditation. She also reported that "SMC TV" will not be initiated this year due to the budget cuts; however, its students are encouraged to brainstorm ideas for the program, set to begin next year. u Senior class president Jacq-ueline Cuisiner reported that this weekend is Senior Dad's Weekend. Friday seniors and their dads will attend Heartland "Casino Night," Saturday they are invited for a Notre Dame game watch at the College Football Hall of Fame and Sunday morning there will be mass at Loretto at 9:45 a.m., followed by coffee in Holy Cross Parlor.