Stan Revelle: Scout team quarterback has enjoyed the Irish experience

Anne Loughery | Friday, November 12, 2004

Stan Revelle sounds like every coach’s dream.

His team-oriented attitude makes him the kind of player coaches can rely to keep the team focused and inspired.

“When you’re practicing day in and day out in the cold and the rain, you find that a lot of people aren’t motivated,” Revelle said. “I just kind of convince them that they’re an important part of the team.”

In his four years at Notre Dame, the unassuming senior walk-on quarterback has risen from an inexperienced freshman to a leader and prominent feature on the scout team.

A native of Poplar Bluffs, Mo., Revelle comes from a storied high school football career. The all-time leading passer in Poplar Bluff high school’s history, Revelle totaled 370 completions for 5,730 yards and 59 touchdowns. Revelle also holds the school record for passing yards with 411 in a game.

But his accolades didn’t end there.

As a senior, Revelle was named all-state and received the College Football Hall of Fame/National Football Foundation Scholar-Athlete Award and Scholarship as valedictorian of his class. That year, USA Today also recognized the standout Revelle’s achievements, dubbing him USA Today Missouri Player of the year in 2000.

Despite a high school career characterized by glory and achievements, Revelle remained uncertain whether or not he could find a place on the competitive and prestigious Irish team.

“I didn’t really think it could happen to me, and then it just kind of all fell into place. It was never really something I dreamed about or expected because I didn’t think it was within my reach,” Revelle said.

Revelle’s doubts vanished as he watched a highlight film at an awards banquet. He realized that his love for football was so ingrained in his personality that playing football at Notre Dame was something he had to do.

“At that moment, I knew I would miss football if I didn’t at least give it a try,” Revelle said. “I guess I just love to throw the ball. I love to see a good spiral.”

Revelle joined the team under then-coach Bob Davie in 2001, weathering a rocky 5-6 season. The Irish saw more success Revelle’s sophomore year, earning a trip to the Gator Bowl after a 10-2 regular season, but last year, the Irish were 5-7. Revelle described his experience witnessing the team’s progress.

“I’ve seen the team evolve from coach Davie through good seasons and bad seasons,” Revelle said. “[After Davie], there was more a change in attitude in the coaches than in the players. They’ve kind of focused on a person being a more of a total package – a great student, great athlete and a great person spiritually.”

Revelle added that each of the players walk away from the team as stronger individuals prepared to face any challenge.

“I think being on the team is something that’s really going to help me in the working world because it’s taught me how to be mentally tough and find unique ways to motivate those around me,” Revelle said.

Revelle will graduate this year with a degree in electrical engineering, and says he hopes to pursue his love of football.

“I’ll probably try to get involved in a social league or a club team,” Revelle said. “It’s going to be a hard transition leaving [Notre Dame]. With football, if you put this much time into it, it’s not just something you can stop.”