-

-

Support water polo

| Thursday, November 18, 2004

The tradition here at Notre Dame has long been one of excellence, both in and out of the classroom. South Bend, Ind. has long been known for producing excellent minds, athletes and epic beer pong battles. These champions are intently followed, often to the point of ad nauseum. Is Chris Thomas staying or going pro? Did Brady’s biceps grow another inch last week? (Did you hear about Brendan’s streak last night?) Notre Dame is and forever will be in the public eye and so our high-profile athletes receive considerable face time in the newspaper and on TV. While we will always hold our major athletes dear to heart, we rarely, if ever, get the chance to hear about the Scott Tagwerkers and the Jack Spittlers of Notre Dame. These two, along with the rest of the ND Water Polo club team, are some of the unsung heroes on campus. They practice at terrible times and are often lucky enough to travel to exotic locales such as Toledo, Ohio, yet they show up day in and day out for love of a game most domers have never witnessed and may never understand. This weekend, Notre Dame will host the Collegiate Water Polo Association (CWPA) National Championships for the first time. As a former team member, I know these guys deserve your support. The team has raised their training intensity all year in preparation for this tournament and has a legitimate opportunity to put Notre Dame Polo on the national map. Please come out to some of the matches this weekend. If nothing else, you will likely leave with a newfound appreciation for a sport usually known only for the microscopic speedos worn by the guys. Go Irish, and good luck!!

Zach Working

senior

Keough Hall

Nov. 18