The Unicorns bring quirky pop to campus

Notre Dame's preeminent Internet radio station, WVFI, is proud to present one-of-a-kind opportunity to Notre Dame students who love live music. The Unicorns, quirky Canadians, critical darlings and fan favorites, bring their unique brand of nuanced, danceable pop music to the LaFortune Ballroom tonight. The free show begins at 7:00 p.m. with opening act Besnard Lakes.The Unicorns catapulted into the indie spotlight with their stellar 2003 release, "Who Will Cut Our Hair When We're Gone?" This little record seemingly came from nowhere and took the underground by storm, topping many critics' year-end lists and winning over droves of new fans. Following a summer tour with the red-hot Arcade Fire, the Unicorns were hand-selected to open for Ben Kweller on his autumn tour and will tonight grace Notre Dame with their idiosyncratic flair. The band's press release says it best:"Get yourself ready and put your hands together for the 'blow-up' sensation of the rest of your lives: The Unicorns...have arrived to save you, to let you save them, and consequently make-up the face of modern music. Having blossomed in Montreal, Quebec, The Unicorns have packed their things and are heading to all the roads in all the world for an unforeseeable amount of time, backing up their reputation as being Canada's most promising new band, and planet Earth's next big thing.The Unicorns have a gift for blending a morbid sense of humour with irresistible pop melodies caked with beautiful vocals employing thoughtful, near-sacred lyrics.Upon seeing this band live, it's impossible to deny that there are supernatural forces at play. You'll never know what you are in for - a performance (i.e. a puppet show, a homeless person hired to impersonate the band, bizarre costumes, a bloody fight between band members) or simply sweet boys delivering the sweet goods. But regardless of what shape their live performance takes on, it never fails to be deeply moving and highly entertaining. You will leave a believer.The Unicorns seem poised on the brink of a huge commercial breakthrough, so this may well be the last chance to see this superb live act in such a fun and intimate setting. The show will likely fill up fast, so come early for the best view. Next time around they just might be co-headlining a world tour with John Mayer.