-

-

Walsh Hall names 2004 Mr. ND

Sarah Barrett | Thursday, November 11, 2004

The cream of the Notre Dame men’s crop competed in the fourth annual Mr. ND Pageant Wednesday, as men from 13 of the male dorms on campus competed for the elusive title.

Each contestant allowed the 150 attendees get to know them a little bit better by performing their diverse talents ranging from poetry readings, song and dance and piano playing to magic tricks, karate and even baking.

Held in the LaFortune Ballroom, this event was put together by sophomore Kathleen O’Brien as part of Walsh Hall’s ‘Wild Week’ and raised money for boxes of to donate to the South Bend Center for the Homeless.

Auctioning off the contestants after the pageant as dates for Walsh Hall’s dorm dinner, the organization raised $85.

Having been serenaded, kissed on the hand and bribed with cookies, the judges declared John Lyons, Jeffery Stephens, Spence Zervoudakis, Brandon Hollihan and Pete Lavorini as the top five contestants, allowing them to move on to the second round of the pageant. The round consisted of questions concerning the contestants’ favorite meal at the dining hall, their feelings on thefacebook.com and popped-collars and the color and contents of their own ‘man-purse’ if they had one.

Sophomore John Lyons last year’s first runner-up and this year’s winner said the pageant was a fun experience.

“It was pretty cool, just a bunch of great guys goofing around and having a great time,” Lyons said.

O’Brien felt that the talented contestants made for a wonderful pageant.

“It was a lot of work but I am glad it turned out really well,” O’Brien said. “I hadn’t had a lot of experience running a campus event but it turned out to be a lot of fun.”