Real student athletes

Many students will sit around in their dorm rooms today, contemplating a 6-5 football season and wondering what went wrong. Was the problem Ty, or was firing him a mistake?

Members of this year's Off Campus women's interhall football team, on the other hand, will sit around in their apartments and houses today as they pregame for Club 23, contemplating their 0-5 season and wondering what went wrong. Was the problem the excessive pregaming, or was not pregaming enough a mistake?

Some might say that the Off Campus run for the championship was a miserable failure since they didn't win any games, but those close-minded people don't understand the true meaning of being a senior, which this inspiring group of athletes epitomized. It's not about winning - it's about finding something else to drink to when you lose.

"The high point of the season was probably the second to last game," said team coaches Nate Raschke and Tim Breitbach. "What's better than drunk girls falling all over themselves and doing cartwheels on the sidelines?"

Even though it became apparent by midseason that the team's drinking habit was taking a toll on its ability to win any games, team founder and captain Lauren Blum seemed more unconcerned than discouraged by the team's dismal finish.

"I think that if we had scored more points than our opponents we probably could have won a few games," Blum said.

For both coaches, the Off Campus football experience was a little different than traditional interhall football.

"[Tim and I] played men's interhall football and won the championship the last two years; moving off campus and coaching this team was definitely a humbling experience. I think it was all part of God's plan... I guess He really wanted to stick it to us, but we're better people for it in the long run," Raschke said.

The very existence of this team might be considered a moral victory for all off-campus seniors. They are maybe the most unloved demographic in the eyes of the administration, which shows its true feelings for those keg-loving hooligans at Turtle Creek and St. Pete St. by selling their parking lots to Gurley-Leep.

With no returning players for next year, one can only hope that another enterprising group next year will take time out of their busy schedules of beer pong, Boat Club and finally taking that last theology requirement to carry on the Off Campus football legacy.

The moral of this team's storied one-year tradition is that no setback can dampen the spirits of an intoxicated Notre Dame senior.

"I'd like to be able to say that we improved," Breitbach said, "but who are we kidding here, at least we had a lot of fun."