Tuesday, May 14, 2024

Cowan clears bar for Irish

After Stacey Cowan cleared the high jump bar, 1.80 meters above the Loftus Center field, she hit the mat and let out a squeal of joy. This expression of emotion summed up her feeling and that of her entire team as the Notre Dame women's track team dominated its second straight home meet.

The Irish duplicated last week's performance by winning 10 of 15 events.

Cowan's jump, her personal best this season, and fourth best in the NCAA this season, was one of many highlights for the Irish on Saturday.

Tiffany Gunn dominated the 400 and 500-meter events, winning both in personal best times. Petra Dankova won both of the horizontal jumping events by taking the long jump and triple jump titles.

A trio of Irish freshmen emerged victorious this weekend as well. Sunni Olding, a contributing member of Notre Dame's fourth-place NCAA cross country team, won her first ever collegiate track race, taking the mile in a personal best time of 4 minutes, 51.98 seconds.

Brienne Davis won the 200 meters and sprint standout Dominique Manning won the 60-meter hurdles. The success of the youngest members of Notre Dame's team was a highlight of Saturday's meet in the eyes of coach Tim Connelly.

"We had a lot of success on Saturday with PR's [personal records], and victories, but I was most impressed with our inexperienced runners who ran solid races, Connelly said. "Our milers were especially impressive, as we had several PR's in that race,"

Other winners included Maryann Erigha in the 60-meter dash and Meghan Horn in the shot put.