CSC moves up break deadline

Due to a request by the Office of the Registrar, the deadline for applications to Center for Social Concerns service learning seminars has been moved up two weeks compared to past years. The change was made to simplify the registration process for these one-credit courses, said Angela Miller-McGraw, director of the Appalachia Program and Educational Immersions for the CSC."Students will be able to register by special permission within the registration period, which will reduce paperwork for the Registrar's Office and the CSC, and we will also be able to finalize details with our site partners earlier in the semester," Miller-McGraw said.The Center for Social Concerns offers one-credit service seminars that allow students to examine various social issues during fall, winter and spring breaks. Traditionally, the deadline for the spring service seminars has been at least two weeks after students return from winter break, but this year, after a series of earlier conversations between the Office of the Registrar and the CSC's site partners, the deadline was moved to today, the third day of spring semester classes, said Miller-McGraw. The CSC is offering six seminars for the March 5-12 spring break this year. The Appalachia Seminar, at 225 students, is the largest. The early deadline prompted concerns about fewer applicants compared to previous years. However, Miller-McGraw said the number of applicants remained high, but the Appalachia Seminar still had open spaces. She would not provide specific numbers about how many people had applied as of Wednesday compared to the numbers of applications received by the CSC on the day before the deadline of previous years. The CSC was also not able to accept all applicants to the smaller seminars, like the Migrant Experiences Seminar and the Children and Poverty Seminar, due to limited funding and site accommodations."It may take some time for students to adjust to the earlier application process now that it coincides with the regular registrations period, but I do not think it will have a significant affect on the programs," Miller-McGraw said.The deadline for applications is today, but there may be a grace period for students unaware of the changed deadline if spaces are still open in the Appalachia program, Miller-McGraw said.