Graduation speaker unknown

Jen Rowling | Wednesday, January 26, 2005

University officials are in the process of choosing a candidate to address the Class of 2005 as this year’s commencement speaker.Outgoing University President Father Edward Malloy will not be the principal speaker at this year’s graduation ceremony, said Dennis Brown, associate director of News and Information. The president traditionally delivers his own separate address at each commencement. This decision mirrors that made with Notre Dame’s last outgoing president. In 1989, then-President Father Theodore Hesburgh did not deliver the commencement address. Peter Ueberroth, the 1984 Time Magazine “Man of the Year,” gave the speech. Ueberroth was a public figure in leadership after organizing the 1984 Olympics – which were at the time the most profitable in history – and serving from 1984-89 as the commissioner of Major League Baseball.In 2001, President George W. Bush delivered the graduation speech. In the following three years, a variety of individuals from diverse backgrounds were selected to give the commencement address. Tim Russert, moderator of NBC’s “Meet the Press,” spoke to the class of 2002. Senator Richard Lugar, Chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee and Indiana Senator since 1976, addressed the class of 2003. Most recently, Minnesota Supreme Court Justice Alan Page, a 1967 Notre Dame graduate, spoke in 2004. The University hopes to announce this year’s speaker soon, Brown said. “Our commencement speakers are not selected on the basis of celebrity,” Brown said. “We seek speakers who have made significant contributions to society and who will deliver a compelling and relevant message to our graduates.”