Meal plan option dominates discussion

Amanda Michaels | Thursday, January 13, 2005

At the first Senate meeting of the new calendar year, members revived old resolutions and issues, including one for a third, “Flex 10″ meal option, in addition the current 14 and 21 mean plans.Chief Executive Assistant Dave Baron started the meeting with an update on the SafeBus proposal’s status.”We’ve been in contact with South Bend’s Transpo, and they’ve already started offering a discounted student pass of $25 for 31 days of rides. And we’re still talking about late-night routes,” Baron said. “Now we’ve taken a different approach and are talking directly to the bar owners to encourage transportation from that end.”The Comm-ittee on Res-idence Life, chaired by Sarah Bates, brought up an issue first proposed two years ago. Christian Hoeffel, a non-Senate member of the committee, presented a resolution calling for Food Service’s serious consideration of adding a “Flex 10″ option to the two existing meal plans.”Flex 10″ would restrict students to 10 meals in the dining hall per week, but proportionally increase the number of FlexPoints granted to them each semester. A survey done by the Committee on Residence Life found that over 50 percent of respondents favored such a plan – a number upwards of 60 percent if freshmen were factored out.”We’re not saying everyone wants it [Flex 10], but there’s a definite need, and students deserve it,” Hoeffel said. “They’re not using all their meals, and over 70 percent of students surveyed said they ran out of FlexPoints.”Student body president Adam Istvan pointed out that, as the Flex 14 currently stands, Food Services assumes that students will only eat 10 meals a week. “So what it comes down to is us asking for more Flex-Points, because the Dining Halls are going to project supply and demand the same way,” Istvan said. Debate became focused on the plan’s feasibility, but Bates emphasized that the resolution was intended to be a broad statement of support of a general idea, in hopes that it would stir Food Services to establish a more intense debate of the details so that it could be officially sanctioned or ruled out. The motion passed, and a copy of the resolution will now be sent to both the Campus Life Council and Food Services.