Monday, March 18, 2024

Mitros, McIlduff win presidential election

After days spent canvassing the dining hall, and nights spent traveling door-to-door, junior Kellye Mitros and sophomore Susan McIlduff were named the next president and vice president of Saint Mary's. However, with only 38 percent of the student body voting, many are wondering whether this representation was accurate. The pair won 59.4 percent of the vote while juniors Michelle Fitzgerald and Lauren Siegel received 33.3 percent of the vote. Seven percent of those who voted abstained from choosing a candidate. Both Mitros and McIlduff are anxious to take on their new roles in student government. "Susan and I feel extremely proud and honored to be chosen as the next student body president and vice president of Saint Mary's College," Mitros said. "We are humbled that our peers have entrusted us with these roles and look forward with great anticipation to serving the amazing women of the College."McIlduff said while many students are already applying for the health and wellness commissioner spot her administration plans to create, they intend to begin planning slowly."I would like to thank all the students who kindly welcomed us into their residence rooms, smiled at us when we were exhausted and opened their hearts to tell us why they love our College," McIlduff said. "Talking to my colleagues about their vision for the school was an experience like none other."Fitzgerald and Siegel said they are upset with the loss, but believe the College will prevail.Fitzgerald said she and Siegel are ready to move on to bigger and better things, but was disappointed with poor student turn out."With only 38 percent of the student body voting, we don't really know if the whole student body was represented," Fitzgerald said. "However, we ran a good race, and wish Kellye and Susan the best."The buzz on campus is one of anticipation for what is to come at the College. Senior Meredith Gramann said she feels the future of Saint Mary's is in good hands."I think these women will be a breath of fresh," she said. "They seem interested in the student body and I think she'll do a great job as president and vice president."For now, Mitros and McIlduff are focusing on the future and preparing to take office. "I hope we are able to continue in the spirit of open dialogue throughout the coming years," Mitros said. "We look forward to assuming our new roles and we want to thank the women of Saint Mary's for giving us this tremendous opportunity."