ND Women's Tennis: Irish dismantle No. 20 Michigan

The No. 20 Wolverines had no answers for the No. 21 Irish during Wednesday's match.Notre Dame (2-1) claimed a 7-0 victory against Michigan (1-2) as the Irish swept all of the doubles and singles matches by Notre Dame (2-1).Sophomore twins Catrina and Christian Thompson, playing at No. 1 in doubles for the Irish, are the No. 2 nationally-ranked team. The Thompson's defeated the No. 15-ranked team of Michelle DaCosta and Kara Delicata 8-5, improving the twins overall record in doubles to 11-2 with their fifth victory against a top-15 opponent this season. Junior Lauren Connelly and freshman Brook Buck played at No. 2 for Notre Dame, topping Leanne Rutherford and Debra Streifler, 8-2.At No. 3, senior Sarah Jane Connelly and junior Kristina Stastny bested Elizabeth Exon and Nina Yaftali 8-5.Once the talent-laden Irish secured the vital doubles point, it was only a matter of remaining calm as they headed into the singles matches."Every time you win the doubles point, you only need three more points so everybody is a little more relaxed," junior Liz Donohue said.In singles, Donohue was first off the court in an impressive 6-1, 6-2 victory against Streifler at No. 6. This win came after two close losses in her previous two matches."After two tough matches, I just had the mentality to just get out there and start of strong," Donohue said. "I just got on a roll early on."Irish coach Jay Lauderback agreed."She played really well and it was exciting to see her win and be off the court so quickly," Lauderback said.The second singles point for the Irish came from Lauran Connelly at No. 4 in a quick 6-3, 6-3 match over Rutherford. But it was the victory by Stastny at No. 5 that secured the victory for the Irish. Stastny defeated Yaftali 7-5, 6-0 after trailing 3-0 in the first set and five set points.At No. 3, Christian Thompson rallied back from 5-2 in the first set against Delicata to win the match 7-5, 6-2."She had a great comeback," Lauderback said. "She's done it [comeback] in the past, and she did a great job of coming to the net."The sixth point came from No. 69 nationally ranked Catrina Thompson at No. 1 after she defeated No. 44 nationally ranked DaCosta 6-2, 6-3."She [Thompson] likes to play quick games, but this kid [DaCosta] make her take her time [by forcing a slower paced game]," Lauderback said. "So this was a good match for her."The seventh and final point for Notre Dame came from No. 85 Buck over Michigan's No. 95 Exon 6-4, 7-6 (7-2).The next opponent for the Irish will be against No. 30 Wake Forest this Sunday at the Eck Tennis Pavilion at 10am.

NOTRE DAME 7, OHIO STATE 0at the ECK TENNIS PAVILION

SINGLES No. 1: #69 Catrina Thompson (ND) def. #44 Michelle DaCosta (M) 6-2, 6-3No. 2: #85 Brook Buck (ND) def. Elizabeth Exon (M) 6-4, 7-6 (7-2)No. 3: Christian Thompson (ND) def. Kara Delicata (M) 7-5, 6-2No. 4: Lauren Connelly (ND) def. Leanne Rutherford (M) 6-3, 6-3No. 5: Kristina Stastny (ND) def. Nina Yaftali (M) 7-5, 6-0No. 6: Liz Donohue (ND) def. Debra Streifler (M) 6-1, 6-2

DOUBLESNo. 1: #2 Thompson/Thompson (ND) def. #15 DaCosta/Delicata (M) 8-5No. 2: Buck/L. Connelly (ND) def. Rutherford/Streifler (M) 8-2No. 3: Sarah Jane Connelly/Stastny (ND) def. Exon/Yaftali (M) 8-5