Students flock to Winter Career Fair

Students flocked to the Joyce Center Wednesday afternoon to talk with recruiters from about 150 businesses and organizations at the annual Winter Career and Internship Fair.Sophomore Jim Theiss said he was especially impressed with the selection. "To have a government agency like the CIA here is great, and ESPN, with the way they've expanded into a global company, that they'd recruit undergrads here is impressive," Theiss said. Sophomore finance major Justen Cheers was also pleased with the presenters. He cited General Electric and Proctor and Gamble as companies he was interested in."It's very a good fair - lots of great companies here and it's a great chance to network," he said. Chris Lesley, present at the fair as a representative of the State Farm Insurance Company, a company that has often recruited at Notre Dame, listed several noteworthy qualities. "I think the caliber of students here fits well with the skill set we're looking for ... We're also not very degree-specific, so we can hit a broad group by coming to Notre Dame," he said. She also added that the competition for internships would be very high, stating that her company had seven openings for the entire state of Indiana. Anita Rees, coordinator for the event, said she was pleased with the turnout. "The flow of students hasn't stopped since we opened the doors. The students are all dressed professionally and they look great," Rees said.Big-name companies attracted the largest crowds, as crowds of eager students awaited the chance to talk to a representative from ESPN, Time, Inc., the CIA and Merrill-Lynch.