Vagina Monologues deserve students' attention

I was sorry to read that Peter Wicks has such a low opinion of the annual production of the Vagina Monologues. If he doesn't like the show, that's his prerogative. He's obviously read it, which is more than a lot of the people who complain about it can say.

However, while his ridicule of the February furor that descends on campus every year is relatively accurate, it is limited in that it fails to address the reasons behind our production of the show and all the activities surrounding it.

V-Day campaigns around the world generate broader attention for the fight to stop violence against women and girls, including rape, battery, incest, female genital mutilation and sexual slavery. Along with three benefit performances of the Vagina Monologues, we will be holding a week-long campaign to address the issue of campus rape. Proceeds from ticket sales and other donations will be going to the YWCA of St. Joseph County and Sex Offense Services in South Bend.

The student body of Notre Dame is notoriously apathetic about anything that does not involve sports, alcohol or abortion. Without the controversy surrounding the Vagina Monologues, very few people would buy tickets to see the show, and not many more than that would take a moment to think about any of the predicaments that women face today.

If you're uncomfortable with the word "vagina," do not watch this show. Go on your merry way. Hopefully, you and yours will never have to deal with the pain of sexual assault.

Still, while the ongoing debate has brought this issue to your attention, at least do a little bit of independent research for yourself on violence against women or donate to one of the many organizations working to combat it.

Try to remember that there are thousands of women worldwide who can't joke about all the controversy and walk away as easily as you do.

Monica Nanda

sophomore

Pangborn Hall

Jan. 27