-

-

Alleged assault reported at SMC

Claire Heininger | Wednesday, February 2, 2005

A Saint Mary’s student was allegedly assaulted by a former boyfriend in her Le Mans Hall room Sunday night, College officials said Monday.The incident was not a sexual assault, but further details about its nature are being withheld for security and privacy purposes while Saint Mary’s Security investigates, College spokesman Melanie McDonald said.McDonald would not comment on any injuries the alleged victim sustained, nor would she give her name or age. She also would not give the name or age of the ex-boyfriend. He is not a Notre Dame student, she said. Saint Mary’s Security was alerted to the incident at about 11:30 p.m. Sunday, McDonald said, but did not find the ex-boyfriend after arriving at the student’s room and conducting a complete search of Le Mans. It was unclear how he entered and exited the dorm, she said.There were no witnesses to the alleged assault, McDonald said, adding that the student does not have roommates. There was no indication that alcohol was a factor in the incident, she said.A no-trespassing order has been issued against the ex-boyfriend, she said. “The security department hasn’t been in contact … [but] they know who they’re searching for, yes,” McDonald said.The alleged suspect was driving a 1978 black Porsche, director of security David Chapman said in an e-mail alert to the student body. Saint Mary’s Security has not contacted outside police agencies for assistance thus far, Chapman added. But security officials did forward an incident report to the St. Joseph County Family Violence/Special Victims Unit, enabling the alleged victim to press charges should she decide to do so, McDonald said.LeMans Hall Director Kirsten Mannion refused to comment on the incident.

Megan O’Neil contributed to this report.