Tuesday, May 14, 2024

Council assesses fund for concerts or speakers

In the midst of student body president and vice president elections, the Council of Representatives met briefly Monday to discuss the progress being made on the possible endowment fund for concerts or speakers at the University.

COR recently formed a committee to address the likelihood and logistics of creating such an endowment, which Council members predicted would be valued between $1 million and $5 million. Though details are still being debated, COR considered contributing $100,000 from Student Government's carry-over fund, which has accumulated an excess of money over the past few years.

Dave Baron, chief executive assistant and a member of the newly-created committee, updated representatives on the steps being taken to create the endowment.

Baron told representatives that the next step is to speak with various members of the Notre Dame community to acquire a better understanding of what is involved.

"We met to discuss the concert endowment and whether it would go to concerts, speakers or both. We decided we need to talk to people to see which is the most feasible," Baron said.

Baron noted that meetings will be scheduled with the Office of Student Affairs, the Investment Office and the Student Activities Office in the next few weeks.

Jimmy Flaherty, the Student Union Board manager and a committee member, told representatives that he hoped this fund could be modeled after other well-known endowments at the University.

"We are going to gather as much information as we can. We need to learn how they are started up and managed," Flaherty said. "We need to find a model."

In other COR news:

u Baron and Karla Bell, student body vice president, spoke to representatives about their presentation to the Board of Trustees. The report, which is the second of three presentations for the year, focused on issues of diversity on campus.

"The Board really liked it. They said that it was a problem when they were here in 1996," Bell said. "They said it was in the top tier of reports they had ever received because a lot of the time it's just people asking for money."

Baron was quick to note that the third report, which will discuss solutions to the problems presented in the second report, will require a great deal of effort.

"I came out of the meeting invigorated," Baron said. "Now the real work begins."