Duerson charged with battery, resigns from Board of Trustees

The St. Joseph County Prosecutor's Office charged Notre Dame trustee Dave Duerson Monday with assaulting his wife early Thursday morning at The Morris Inn. Duerson, a two-time All-American Notre Dame football player, voluntarily resigned from the Board Friday and also is expected to resign as president of the Monogram Club, a University official said.

The prosecutor's office filed two counts of battery and two counts of domestic battery in relation to the incident, which occurred at the Inn at approximately 1:45 a.m. Thursday, according to records on the Notre Dame Security/Police crime blotter.

Duerson's wife, Alicia Duerson, was treated at a local hospital and released, according to a statement from the prosecutor's office.

"In view of the serious matter now confronting Dave Duerson, he has voluntarily resigned from the University's Board of Trustees," said Patrick McCartan, chairman of the Board of Trustees. "We have accepted his resignation. Without prejudging any legal outcome, we believe this is the right decision, consistent with expectations for membership on the Board."

University President Father Edward Malloy also issued a statement on Dave Duerson's resignation.

"It is regrettable, but proper, that Dave Duerson has resigned as a member of the University's Board of Trustees," Malloy said. "We are appreciative of his past service, but the circumstances in which he finds himself clearly make this the proper course of action. Our prayers are with Mrs. Duerson, Dave and the entire family."

Dave Duerson, President & CEO of Duerson Foods, LLC in Pleasant Prairie, Wisconsin, was elected to the Board of Trustees in May 2001 and received the prestigious Sorin Award from the Notre Dame Alumni Association in 2001. He played football for the Irish from 1979-82, serving as tri-captain in 1982. He played in the National Football League from 1983-94.

Claire Heininger contributed to this report.