FOOTBALL: Powlus may return for front-office position

Former Irish signal caller Ron Powlus could replace Jimmy Gonzales as director of personnel development for the Irish football team, according to Bluandgold.com and Irisheyes.com on Sunday .

Powlus would take over for Gonzales, who left to accept a job with Oklahoma State shortly after Irish head coach Charlie Weis replaced Tyrone Willingham.

As director of player development, Powlus would be responsible for recruiting administration and player development for the Irish, along with additional duties associated with the team.

"From what I have learned talking to past personnel directors, the job is primarily an organizational one," Mike Frank of Irisheyes.com said. "This is the person who's responsible for organizing travels for the recruits, junior days, campus visits and maybe even also collecting transcripts and phone numbers.

Powlus is one of a handful of recent former Irish standouts that have discussed the possibility of returning to the school in some capacity, including former Irish receiver Tim Brown and ex-Irish running back Jerome Bettis. But elected to remain involved in professional football.

Powlus was one of the most highly recruited quarterbacks in the country when he signed with Notre Dame as a freshman in 1993. A broken collarbone postponed the start of Powlus' career with the team, but the quarterback assumed the starting role in 1994 and played until 1997.

By the time of his final game in an Irish uniform, Powlus held the Notre Dame career marks for passes attempted (969), passes completed (558), yardage (7,602) and touchdown passes (52).

But despite the statistical accolades, Powlus and his teams had a difficult time maintaining consistency. During his career, the Irish amassed a 30-17-1 record, and did not contend for a national championship.

Powlus was signed by the Philadelphia Eagles and spent several years in that organization, but never saw the field in a regular-season NFL game.