Group plans tsunami fundraiser

Saint Mary's Board of Governance met Monday to discuss upcoming events to finalize plans for the February fundraiser "Love Makes the World Go Round, Show Your Love," which will aid children left orphaned and homeless by the Asian tsunami."The month of February is centered around Valentine's Day, sharing love and celebrating love as a community and with the world," student body president Sarah Catherine White said. "I think [the fundraiser] is a great way to celebrate Valentine's love and lend our support as a community."The fundraiser, which will be sponsored by BOG and led by the Student Government Association, will last the entire month. BOG has set the initial goal of the drive at $1 per student. "We plan on keeping up with publicity and continuing to report to our students where we are with our goal," White said. BOG will set up collection bins in all dorms, the Angela Athletic Facility, the dining hall, the bookstore, Dalloway's and at all SGA sponsored events throughout the month. Women's Issues Commissioner Katie Kelly announced that a Saint Mary's Pride Appreciative Inquiry will be held Feb. 15 from 5 p.m. to 7 in the Stapleton Lounge. "We hope to get an idea about how we can celebrate who we are as Saint Mary's women," Kelly said. "It will really be a great way to celebrate the pride we saw during the Inauguration Week,"Although plans are being finalized, Kelly said the inquiry would be led by a faculty or staff member and students who have experience in leading these types of discussions. "The main focus is to strengthen our community by realizing our unique gifts and talents at Saint Mary's," Kelly said. "From the Identity Forum, we saw a need to continue with forums, but to look at them from different angles, and the inquiry is a new angle we are trying."

In other BOG news:u Student Activities Board will host Dance Dance Revolution Wednesday at 8 p.m. in Dalloway's. "It's a lot of fun and you can practice your moves for the all school formal," SAB president Lauren Fabina said.u Student Diversity Board commissioner Adriana Puente announced SDB would hold a Cultural Taste Fest Feb. 17 and is also working on creating events for Black History Month.Sophomore class president Claudia Toth said the sophomore board would sponsor an Abroad Welcome Back event Feb. 8. The board will also sell "Kisses for Wishes" this week next week in the dining hall, with proceeds donated to the Make a Wish Foundation.