Heininger announces General Board editors

The Observer has hired department editors for all but one General Board position, incoming Editor in Chief Claire Heininger announced Sunday. The appointments are effective March 14. "Each person selected brings significant talent and experience to their respective positions," Heininger said. "I am confident the staff assembled will build on the tradition of excellence The Observer has established."There will be a restructuring of leadership in the Assistant Managing Editor role, Heininger said. Three people will hold the title of Assistant Managing Editor, with each focusing on her area of expertise.Heather Van Hoegarden will serve as the Assistant Managing Editor for News and Advertising, overseeing a news department of approximately 30 people and supervising news and advertising content. Van Hoegarden, a junior from Pasquerilla West, is an accounting major and journalism minor from Burr Ridge, Ill. She served as The Observer's Sports Editor since March 2004. Sarah Vabulas will serve as the Assistant Managing Editor for Viewpoint and Systems, overseeing Viewpoint staff and content and supervising The Observer's technological equipment. Vabulas, a junior from Alpharetta, Ga., lives in Saint Mary's LeMans Hall and is majoring in communications and religious studies. Vabulas has served as The Observer's Viewpoint Editor since January 2004 after previously working as the Scene Editor. Maureen Reynolds will serve as the Assistant Managing Editor for Special Projects, overseeing the publications and events surrounding The Observer's 40th anniversary. Reynolds, a junior from Oak Lawn, Ill., lives in Pasquerilla West and is majoring in accounting and political science. Reynolds previously worked as an Associate Viewpoint Editor and an Associate News Editor. Two positions are being filled by staff members who held them previously. Michael Landsberg will remain Controller, a position he attained in January when he first joined The Observer. A sophomore economics major from Farmington Hills, Mich., Landsberg lives off-campus. Claire Kelley has been rehired as Photo Editor, a position she has held since May 2004. Kelley, a senior English and art history major from Columbus, Ohio who lives in Cavanaugh, will be staying at Notre Dame for a fifth year.The six new General Board appointments are: uMike Gilloon, Sports EditoruMegan O'Neil, Saint Mary's Editor uRama Gottumukkala, Scene EditoruGraham Ebetsch, Graphics EditoruNicholas Guerrieri, Ad Sales ManageruJennifer Kenning, Ad Design Manager Gilloon, a sophomore from Stanford majoring in English and minoring in journalism, started working with The Observer during the fall semester of his freshman year. The Omaha, Neb. native previously covered Notre Dame volleyball, football recruiting and men's track. O'Neil is a junior majoring in English literature and Spanish. Originally from La Crescenta, Calif., O'Neil lives in Holy Cross Hall and is currently working with the South Bend Tribune as an academic intern. She joined The Observer during the fall semester of her freshman year.Gottumukkala, an O'Neill junior, is majoring in biology and film, television and theatre. The League City, Texas native began writing for the Scene section during the fall of his freshman year and has served as an assistant scene editor since last year. Ebetsch, a sophomore from Carroll, began working for The Observer during the fall of his freshman year. The graphic design major is a native of Wheaton, Ill.Guerrierri, a St. Edward's Hall junior, is double majoring in marketing and film and television. The Canfield, Ohio native worked as a retail advertising intern at his hometown newspaper, the Youngstown Vindicator, last summer.Kenning, a McGlinn Hall junior, is majoring in graphic design and minoring in journalism. The Principia, Mo. native joined The Observer staff during the fall of her sophomore year.