Lawyer for Duerson appears in court

An attorney for former Notre Dame football captain and two-time All-American Dave Duerson appeared in St. Joseph County Superior Court Monday to extend Duerson's status date for misdemeanor assault charges until April 28.

Michael Tuszynski of the South Bend firm William P. Stanley & Associates filed as Duerson's private counsel, St. Joseph County deputy prosecutor Sean Schill said. Schill, who handled the initial arraignment, said a separate attorney also attempted to become involved in the case Monday but ultimately did not file on Duerson's behalf. Schill declined to give the name of the second attorney.

Activity on the case could still occur before the formal April 28 date because Duerson chose to retain private counsel, Schill said.

Duerson, 44, resigned from the University's Board of Trustees Feb. 4, the day after he allegedly beat his wife, Alicia, and allegedly pushed her out of the pair's hotel room, according to the prosecutor's supplemental affadavit on the case. On Feb. 7, St. Joseph County chief prosecutor Michael Dvorak filed two counts of battery and two counts of domestic battery against Dave Duerson. All of the charges are Class A misdemeanors, carrying a maximum penalty of up to one year in jail and a $5,000 fine.

A 1983 Notre Dame graduate, Duerson played defensive back for the Irish from 1979-83 and went on to win two Super Bowls in the NFL. He is also founder, president and CEO of Duerson Foods, LLC.

See Tuesday's edition of The Observer for a complete report.