Malloy focuses on final semester

The greater South Bend community will honor University President Father Edward Malloy with a fund-raising tribute benefiting three local charities with strong ties to the outgoing president.

In a gesture of appreciation for Malloy's 18 years of service at Notre Dame, South Bend community leaders organized "Michiana Salutes Monk," an honorary benefit to be held March 3 at the Century Center in downtown South Bend.

According to Dennis Brown, associate director of news and information, prominent local organizers of the event include John Rosenthal, president of St. Joseph's Bank, and Mike Leep, owner of several South Bend automobile dealerships. Politicians Steven Luecke, mayor of South Bend, and former Indiana Gov. Joe Kernan also helped plan the benefit.

The event will begin with a reception, followed by dinner and a program.

Kernan, a '68 alumnus of Notre Dame, will serve as master of ceremonies.

Proceeds from the tribute will benefit the Center of the Homeless, the Robinson Community Learning Center and the Boys and Girls Club of St. Joseph County.  Hand-picked by Malloy, each organization has shared a close relationship with the president during his tenure at the University.

Malloy founded the Center of the Homeless during his early years at Notre Dame.  The organization has since set national precedents for other communities and their handling of the issue of homelessness.

In more recent years, Malloy facilitated the creation of the Robinson Center, a Notre Dame-sponsored education center in the Northeast Neighborhood of South Bend. Additionally, Malloy has served on the board for the St. Joseph County chapter of the Boys and Girls Clubs of America.

Tickets are on sale through Feb. 18 and can be purchased individually or as a table by calling 574-273-9700. Gold, silver and bronze sponsorships are also available.