-

-

Moderator clarifies discrepancy

| Tuesday, February 15, 2005

As the moderator of the panel on same-sex marriage at the recent second Annual Queer Film Festival, I would like to clarify one discrepancy that keeps rearing its head and was used by Bishop John D’Arcy as a major reason for his objection to the festival. The organizing committee (and I personally) have a serious commitment to academic integrity, freedom and dialogue. We were dedicated to having all viewpoints, including the Church’s stance on same-sex marriages and homosexual activity, accurately represented and defended.

We, the planning committee, contacted representatives from the University’s theology department, campus ministry and administration, asking for someone to please add this additional perspective to the panel. For various reasons, all of those who were asked, declined. We were very saddened by that response because there is no way for viewpoints to be discussed if only similar perspectives are presented.

On Friday, when a very courageous member of Courage agreed on the spot to speak from the Church’s perspective, we were delighted to offer that viewpoint to those assembled. His willingness to speak allowed for a much more insightful discussion to occur, and we are grateful for his and all the other speakers participation.

David E. Pais

co-chair

Gay and Lesbian Alumni/ae of the University of Notre Dame and Saint Mary’s College

Feb. 15