Provost search, off-campus shuttle discussed

Monday night's Council of Representatives meeting featured the announcement of a new weekend transportation service for students going to off-campus locations and discussion regarding the search for the University's new provost.Chief executive assistant and student body president-elect Dave Baron announced to representatives the creation of a new bus service funded by the Sports Page Lounge, a bar in Granger. The bus will run Wednesdays through Saturdays from 10 p.m. to 3 a.m., Baron said, making six stops in its 45-minute route and picking up and dropping off passengers at Castle Point, College Park and Turtle Creek apartments, Library Circle and Sports Page.The bus is scheduled to begin operating this Thursday beginning at 10 p.m."This is something students need to take advantage of and appreciate," Baron said.All students who board the bus will have to swipe an I.D. to prove they are 21, and no underage students will be allowed on the bus, Baron said."This service is most important for seniors and off-campus students," student body president Adam Istvan said. Istvan's administration presented a proposal to the Board of Trustees last fall seeking to establish a University-funded SafeBus that would transport students to and from off-campus locations. Istvan clarified that the Sports Page's shuttle service is not a fulfillment of the SafeBus proposal. Though he remains in full support of the service, he emphasized that it is in no way connected to the University or to Student Government. The new service was announced in COR after Sports Page asked Istvan to spread the word to the student body."They asked us to let students know about this. And if they're willing to improve student life, then I'm willing to mention it in our meeting," Istvan said. Senior Jeremy Staley attended the meeting to tell representatives about his membership on a committee that will play a key role in hiring the new provost for the University. "I will be sitting on the search committee to choose the new provost. My job is to help with the student side of the search," Staley said.The selection committee, made up of five faculty members and one student, will research candidates and then present a recommendation to University President-elect Father John Jenkins, who will assume the presidency July 1. Jenkins will then present his own recommendation to the Board of Trustees, which will then make the final decision.Staley clarified the role and responsibilities of the provost to representatives and asked for their feedback regarding key qualities of a strong provost candidate.Senior class president Darrell Scott asked that Staley seek out a candidate with experience at the international level. "I recommend someone with international experience and Washington connections, while still being Catholic. That would be a great addition," Scott said.Baron called for a provost who would make diversity a top priority in the academic environment at Notre Dame."A big focus for my campaign has been the issue of diversity. And that is something that is very important to academics. His powers need to be looked at through the diversity respective," Baron said.Istvan asked that Staley encourage the search committee to seek out minorities and women and encourage them to apply for the position. "Notre Dame isn't exactly the first place a minority or female would apply to work. So the committee needs to put forth energy to attract women and minorities because they might be the best for the job," Istvan said.Staley plans to attend other student government meetings to gather further student input concerning the matter.