Saint Mary's schedules second blood drive

With its first blood drive an overwhelming success, the Saint Mary's Affiliation of the American Chemical Society (SMAACS) is holding a second blood drive today from 9 a.m. until 3:30 p.m. in the Regina Hall North Lounge.

SMAACS member Donna Lubbers organized both drives and said she is thrilled with the selflessness from the College community.

"There are usually blood drives held on campus - one during the first semester and one during the second," Lubbers said. "However, no club or organization had sponsored any of them so far, and because of the shortage, we decided we should hold one."

After the sign-up sheet for the first drive, held Feb. 2, filled up in less than a day, Lubbers decided to bring the South Bend Medical Foundation (SBMF) back to campus.

Lubbers said while the first drive brought in around 30 donors, the second one is slated to have more than 40 people.

"Our [original] goal was really to get as many people who were willing and eligible to donate," Lubbers said. "Every little bit helps, and we've more than exceeded any goal we had hoped for."

As with the first drive, the mobile blood bank will be transported to campus and set up in the lounge. Staff members from the SBMF then test each donor to make sure they are able to donate. These qualifications include making sure the person is not ill, has high enough iron levels and has not donated within the last three months.

Lubbers hopes to bring the SBMF to campus more often, especially since others wanted to donate, but were unable to fit it into their schedules.

She is also encouraging anyone who has not donated to stop by today, or to contact the SBMF by calling or taking a walk in appointment.

"You fill out a form and they check blood pressure, temperature, hemoatocrit and a few other things, and you can donate right on the spot," Lubbers said. "Saving a life has never been easier."

Junior Jocelyn Demeter said she is planning on donating tomorrow for the first time.

"It's important to me to try to help others by giving something I already have," Demeter said. "I have attempted to donate before but couldn't because of my lower iron. But now, I have taken care of the problem and am ready and willing to give something to the community that I myself may need one day."

For anyone nervous about donating, Lubbers offers a few encouraging words to calm nerves.

"There are so many people in need, and it only takes about 30 minutes out of your day," Lubbers said. "And even though it does involve a needle, its not painful and you get a cookie and juice at the end."