Score tells story of renowned conductor Leonard Bernstein

Notre Dame will host the SITI Company's production of "Score," a play centering on the brilliance of world-renowned musician Leonard Bernstein, today at the Debartolo Performing Arts Center.The one-man play is the final installment of a trilogy about the creative process, with the previous two plays focusing on stage director Robert Wilson and writer Virginia Woolf. "Score" looks at the creative genius that engulfed Bernstein and enabled him to introduce millions to classical music. Tom Nelis, who won an Obie award for his performance in "The Medium," portrays Bernstein with the intent of conveying what occurred in Bernstein's mind as he tried to live out a life as a conductor, composer, film scorer and pianist. Much of the play is based upon print and media interviews with Bernstein, as well as some of his own writings. The play builds in tension when Bernstein reaches a point of crisis, with close attention paid to the sound design (i.e. the music) throughout the production."Score" was recently shown at the Clarice Smith Performing Arts Center at the University of Maryland and has one more performance at the College of DuPage Performing Arts Center Friday.Anne Bogart, one of SITI's founding members, directed the play. SITI is an ensemble-based theatre company that focuses on the creation of new theater material, the training of young actors and an emphasis on international cultural exchange and collaboration. The company is based in New York City, with a summer season in Saratoga. SITI believes, as it states on its Web site, that "contemporary American theatre must necessarily incorporate artists from around the world and learn from cross-cultural exchange of dance, music, art, and performance experiences."Nellis is a long-time member of the SITI Company. When not performing, he also teaches Suzuki Technique and Viewpoints Training for SITI workshops and also serves on the faculty at the University of Pennsylvania and Princeton University.Tickets for "Score" are $35 for general admission, $28 for faculty/staff, $26 for senior citizens and $15 for students. The play begins at 8 p.m.