Speak up for Catholic values

Strong beliefs, upright principles and religious morals are hilarious. Realizing I'm a huge square by modern standards, I feel compelled to say more people at Notre Dame need to speak up for the traditional, Catholic values they believe in. While reading Paul Kellner and Maureen Ritchey's Feb. 7 letter, "Revue hits wrong buttons," I too told myself they had to be joking. Initially surprised by two students opening themselves to the ridicule sure to follow such a prudish letter of virtuous ideals, it was quickly apparent the two were only mocking the thoughts they presented.

Joseph King very astutely pointed out in his Feb. 9 letter, "people who honestly believe" what Kellner and Ritchey wrote (gasp) do exist. However, decent people have become animated punch-lines for King, Kellner, Ritchey and our hip mainstream culture, even here at the leading Catholic university, Notre Dame.

I did, as a "consenting adult," attend Keenan's Revue last Friday. Admittedly it was humorous and entertaining (even if weak relative to the Dillon Hall Pep Rally every fall). Discussing the Revue later made clear others shared my views. Although funny, certain skits were excessive, graphic and vulgar about sex, masturbation and certain body parts and fluids. There is something to be said about subtlety, and in this case less would have been more. Most attending were all too familiar with this sort of humor. Today it's common in our society, but does this necessarily mean it is good or right?

Taking life and comedy too seriously or over-analyzing current norms of society is not my mission. As stated, I can get many good laughs, even while recognizing some unseemly content. However, those individuals willing to mock wholesome standards should get a life. King rightly observes it was a comedy routine and yes, I saw only "consenting adults." But King is unequivocally wrong in his contentions about Notre Dame. As a private, Catholic university, Notre Dame has every right not to condone such productions. As an interesting side note, has everyone heard it's "Notre Dame's 2nd Annual Queer Film Festival" week? Fine By Me, I suppose - happiness at Our Lady's University.

Dave Daley

sophomore

Dillon hall

Feb. 10