Tsunami campaign evaluated

Members of the Saint Mary's Board of Governance (BOG) met Monday to discuss the results of the first week of its "Love Makes the World Go 'Round, Show Your Love" tsunami relief campaign.

After the first week of campaigning, which consisted of a night of going door to door in dorms and leaving donation bags at several locations on campus, BOG collected $324.68 out of their goal of $1 per student, or $1,341.

"[This] is a big project but I think it's ... worth our time," said BOG executive treasurer Molly Welton. "All of us should be advocates for this campaign."

BOG focused its discussion on creating more success throughout the rest of the campaign, which lasts until the end of the month.

"I think it needs to be talked up a little more," Student Diversity Board president Adriana Puente said.

Members discussed changing the type of collection tool from decorated bags, to a see through bowl so that donations would be more visible to students.

After deciding that donation bags alone were not bringing in the amounts that were hoped for, student body president Sarah Catherine White, along with other BOG members, brainstormed ideas for attracting further involvement from the student body. White said that one of the reasons the campaign was designed to last the whole month was so that if necessary, adjustments could be made.

"Any plan has to be reevaluated," student body vice-president Mary Pauline Moran said.

BOG decided to have more events set up for the rest of the campaign. It discussed putting tables in front of the Haggar Student Center and inside Madeleva in hopes of attracting off-campus students. Members also suggested contacting resident assistants and having them e-mail residents, setting up an event in the dining hall during lunch hours and creating an advertisement on the Saint Mary's Web site.

"We're stepping up the publicity," Moran said.

BOG also approved two co-sponsorships through the Student Academic Council. The College Republicans were allotted $100 dollars per student who attends the Conservative Political Action Conference in Washington D.C. from Feb. 17-19, with the stipulation that the group gives a presentation to the student body upon return.

The Social Work Department was granted $1,250 for a group of 16 students, one faculty member and three community leaders to attend the National Conference on Child Abuse and Neglect in Boston from Apr. 18-23. The group will be putting together a formal presentation for the Center for Women's Intercultural Leadership and the student body.

In other BOG news:

u BOG approved the founding of the Irish Club, which is a new club that hopes to bring aspects of the Irish culture to Saint Mary's.

u SDB will hold a cultural taste fest on Feb. 17.

u Student Activities Board will sponsor a fundraiser tonight at Hacienda. Approximately 20 percent of each bill will be given to SAB to help fund upcoming spring events. Tokens can be picked up at the Student Activities office or from any SAB member.

u Freshman Class Board will be selling class sweatshirts this week in the dining hall.

u Freshman bowling will be held Feb. 13 from 8 to 10 pm. The cost is $3 to bowl and tickets can be picked up at the front desk in Haggar.