Monday, March 18, 2024

Duerson lawyer extends court date

Former Notre Dame football captain and two-time All-American Dave Duerson deferred his court appearance on Monday for misdemeanor assault charges until April 28.Michael Tuszynski of the South Bend firm William P. Stanley & Associates appeared in St. Joseph County Superior Court Monday morning to file as Duerson's private counsel, St. Joseph County deputy prosecutor Sean Schill said. Schill, who represented the prosecutor's office for the initial arraignment, said a separate defense attorney also tried to become involved in the case Monday but ultimately did not file on Duerson's behalf. Schill declined to give further details about the attempt or the name of the second attorney."There was a bit of confusion this morning, so we'll see what transpires between now and April 28," he said. Activity on the case could occur before this formal status conference date because Duerson chose to retain private counsel, Schill said.Tuszynski did not return calls seeking comment Monday.Duerson, 44, of Highland Park, Ill., is charged with two counts of battery and two counts of domestic battery in allegations stemming from a Feb. 3 incident at the Morris Inn on the Notre Dame campus.All four of the charges are Class A misdemeanors, carrying a maximum penalty of up to one year in jail and a $5,000 fine for each.According to the prosecutor's supplemental affidavit on the case, Duerson allegedly struck his wife, Alicia Duerson, and pushed her out of their hotel room during the early morning of Feb. 3. Alicia Duerson was treated at a local hospital and released, the prosecutor's statement said.The Duersons were staying on campus for the winter meeting of the Board of Trustees, which was held Feb. 3-4. Dave Duerson, a trustee since 2001, resigned his post Feb. 4.Dave Duerson is also the president of the Monogram Club, but University spokesman Matt Storin said at the time of the charges that he expected Dave Duerson, the 1990 Monogram Club Member of the Year, to resign that post as well. Storin said Monday night that he was not sure if Dave Duerson had officially resigned as the president of the Monogram Club but that he did not expect him to retain his position."We were told by his representatives that a letter was in the process of being done and he was going to resign," Storin said. Dave Duerson's two-year term expires in June, when Julie Doyle is set to take over. Storin said the Monogram Club is not scheduled for any formal activity until its June meeting.A 1983 Notre Dame graduate, Dave Duerson played defensive back for the Irish from 1979-83 and still holds the all-time program record for career interception yardage. He also served as tri-captain of the 1982 Irish team. After Notre Dame, Dave Duerson went on to win two Super Bowls in the NFL with the Chicago Bears (1985) and the New York Giants (1990). Dave Duerson was also well-known in the league for his service activities. He was named the 1987 NFL Man of the Year and 1988 NFL Humanitarian of the Year for his work with substance abuse prevention and Special Olympics. He is also founder, president and CEO of Duerson Foods, LLC, a high-volume meat processor for major restaurants and retail chains.Dave Duerson was the 2001 recipient of the Sorin Award from the Notre Dame Alumni Association.