Let's act with class

With just two critical home games remaining on the schedule, the men's basketball team needs the fans' support more than ever to make a run at the NCAA Tournament. The Leprechaun Legion hopes to provide as much of that support as possible. However, a problem has been brought to our attention that must be addressed.

At the Boston College game, the Big East commissoner complained about students yelling the word "sucks" after each opposing player's introduction. This has been a long-standing tradition at Notre Dame, but one that does not sit well with some fans and administrators.

After the complaints, the athletic department asked the Legion to help end this chanting. If it does not stop, we were told that they will take away giveaways and pizza before the games, and will stop aknowledging the student section during Notre Dame player introductions.

We obviously do not want this to happen. With that in mind, we are asking the students at the Rutgers game to sit in their seats and read the newspapers provided, completely ignoring the Scarlet Knights. If we refrain from yelling "sucks," then students will avoid a negative outcome.

We understand this jeer is something that has taken place for many years and it is a difficult task to curb it so quickly. Despite this, it will benefit everyone more if we, as a student body, can change this trend. Let's start Wednesday with player introductions, then watch the Irish take down Rutgers.

Since this game will likely be the last of the season for most students, give our seniors a loud round of applause for their countless contributions to the program during their careers. Notre Dame basketball is back on the map and each of these players has helped greatly along the way. Thanks for all your support of the team and Go Irish!

Brian Tracy

senior

Knott Hall

March 1