MEN'S TRACK: Team begins outdoor season

The Irish kicked off their outdoor season over the weekend, sending a contingent of athletes to Tucson, Ariz., at the Willie Williams Invitational at the University of Arizona. The Irish sent 26 men's and women's competitors to the event, which was held at Roy P. Drachman Track and Field Stadium.While it was the women who stole the show - namely sophomore sprinter Maryann Erigha, who ran a personal-best and NCAA Regional qualifying time of 23.70 seconds on her way to victory in the 200-meter dash - the men's team also left its mark in the desert.Competing in mostly field events in this non-scoring meet, as opposed to the women who sent more runners, the men's team was led by junior Chris Staron, who claimed fifth place overall with a clearance of 1.95 meters Teammate Chris Jacques came in at ninth, with a leap of 1.90 meters Staron, who finished in third in the Big East Indoor Championships, said this meet was a good warm-up to begin the outdoor season."[It was a nice way to] work the kinks out and hopefully set myself up for some better finishes later in the season," Staron said.Not satisfied with his finish in the indoor season, Staron was hopeful that the outdoor part of the season would give him the opportunity to improve. "[This meet was a good way] to get some more work in, and, hopefully, get some better jumps in later in the season," he said.Also competing in the long jump, sophomore Jacques was able to finish in sixth place with a best jump of 6.66 meters. Jacques was the indoor season's Big East champion in the long jump, and hopes to garner such accolades during the outdoor season.Senior thrower Chip Roberts came in seventh in the hammer throw with a throw of 48.13 meters, and teammate Garet Koxlein finished right behind Roberts in eighth place with a throw of 46.41 meters. Both Roberts and Koxlein competed in this year's indoor Big East Championship, where Roberts who claimed third in the weight throw.Junior Derek Goguen rounded out the finishes for the Irish, coming in seventh place in the javelin with a throw of 59.91 meters. The outdoor season will continue for the Irish next weekend when the team travels to the Stanford Invitational at Stanford University in Palo Alto, Calif.