ND MEN’S LACROSSE: No. 9 Notre Dame enjoys its share of success

Bobby Griffin | Wednesday, March 30, 2005

The Easter weekend was a productive one for Notre Dame, as the Irish continued to show why they deserve to be the No. 9 ranked team in the country.

The Irish defeated Hofstra 9-8 in double overtime on Saturday and then came back to defeat Villanova 11-7 on Monday, improving their overall record to 5-1 on the season.

Hofstra rallied from a two goal deficit with two minutes remaining to tie the score at eight, forcing the overtime against Notre Dame.

The Irish prevailed when Pat Walsh scored his sixth goal of the game to break the stalemate.

Walsh, who hails from Long Island, NY, also contributed an assist to commemorate his homecoming.

“I think we played really well at times. We played hard and we played gritty, and we played with determination down the stretch,” Irish coach Kevin Corrigan said.

Corrigan gave credit to his team for being able to fight back after giving up the game tying goal and win in overtime.

“Things are tough. You are on the road in front of 4500 people and they scored the last three goals to tie it up and it’s a perfect opportunity to fold if that’s what you are made of, but our guys didn’t do that and found a way to win the game.”

The Villanova game was a make up date from the March 8th contest, which was cancelled due to inclement weather.

Nevertheless, the two teams had to deal with Mother Nature anyway, as conditions were not much better this time around.

“It was a little warmer, but [there was] a torrential downpour the whole game.

“I’ve never been in conditions like that for the entire game,” Corrigan said.

In the midst of the rain, Jim Morrison led the Irish with four goals to keep the momentum in Notre Dame’s favor. Colin Fatti and Matt Ryan also scored two goals each.

The Irish jumped to a 8-2 lead to start the game, but were outscored 5-3 down the stretch.

Corrigan had mixed feelings about the team’s performance.

“There were times when we played really, really well,” Corrigan said.

“I thought most of the first half we were outstanding. In the second half, I think we might have felt a little bit like the game was done and we can’t afford to relax.”

Playing with consistency is something that Corrigan has stressed the importance of all season.

The Irish have plenty of talent, but carrying the same amount of intensity throughout a game is something that their coach maintains still needs improvement.

“We’ve got to be more consistent. Coming out of the weekend I think that’s the thing we have to realize, you’ve got to be consistent over 60 minutes.

“You’ve got to continue to adjust throughout games because people adjust to you.”

Coming into the game, Villanova had a 14-game winning streak at home.

The Irish will travel to Hanover, New Hampshire this weekend to take on Dartmouth. The game will start at 2:30 p.m. on Saturday.