Spring break ... serenity?

Unlike a lot of my classmates, I'm not going on vacation for spring break. Sure, a cruise in the Caribbean or spending the day relaxing on a beach in Mexico would be nice. But what's so great about a week in a tropical paradise full of sand and sun?

Instead of all that, I'm heading back to my hometown of Omaha. That's right. Instead of travelling to Cabo, I'm spending my spring break "somewhere in middle America."

And I can't wait.

I can't wait to hang out with a few of my old friends. But not to party all night long, I just want to relax on the couch in my buddy's basement. Watch some Seinfeld re-runs and recall the time our friend Morgan's pen exploded in his mouth during sophomore theology class.

I can't wait to pick up a late-night Frosty at Wendy's and cruise the street with the windows down as Bob Seger's voice seeps through the classic rock station on the radio.

I can't wait to stop for lunch at King Kong Gyros, where everyone speaks clear English, except for the guy taking your order. His Greek accent is the only thing thicker than the half-pound burgers they serve.

I can't wait to shoot hoops in the driveway with my sisters, using the same Notre Dame basketball I got when I was 11. The grip is all worn off and the Leprechaun is gone, but it still works for a game of knock-out.

I can't wait to sleep in my bunk bed, the same one I've slept in since I was eight years old. It creaks a little bit and my legs hang over the edge. But it's cozy and the sheets are a lot warmer than my dorm room.

I can't wait to drive past Rosenblatt Stadium, the home of the College World Series. I'll look forward to the second week of June, when I can sit with my friends in the sun-soaked stands all day long and watch the top college baseball teams in America. Tickets are only five bucks, just two dollars less than the chicken fingers.

I can't wait to head over to Homer's Music, the best record store in town. The CDs aren't as cheap as at Best Buy, but the atmosphere is incomparable. There are only two cash registers, and the people behind them look like they are in a contest to see can dress more like Jerry Garcia.

I can't wait to go home.

And if I get bored? Well, I'll just turn on MTV and see how much fun everyone's having at spring break.