White House: Bush to stop at ND

The White House has confirmed President George W. Bush's plans to speak about Social Security at Notre Dame's Joyce Center Friday, according to a White House press release.Notre Dame is not affiliated with the president's visit to campus, University spokesman Matt Storin said. "This is not a Notre Dame-sponsored event," Storin said, explaining that the president's visit would be similar to that of Vice President Dick Cheney in October 2003 - a business transaction between the University and the Bush administration."They're basically just using our facility," Storin said. "The original interest was, I think, more coming to South Bend than Notre Dame."Storin said the Century Center downtown was not available for the president's visit in the necessary timeframe, so the JACC was the next best option.However, Storin added that while the president's visit will have no more connection to Notre Dame than the rental of the JACC, the University will be making all conveniences available to the president in the facility."We're working with them - he is the president of the United States," Storin said.Storin said he could not comment on any additional security measures or restrictions related to the upcoming visit.